PagesPat's Ponderings

Thursday, April 20, 2023

I Find This Piece of Art Very Mooo-ving


It was a good day at my local thrift store. First, everything in the store was half-priced. Second, I kept finding items I wanted to paint or change in some way. Third, they even gave me my veteran's discount on top of the half-off price!

One of the treasures I found that tickled my Muse was this ceramic cookie jar. It was just your standard white and black calf, with various scuffs and dirty as all get-out. So I took her home with me and we've become very good friends. Her name is Elsie, after a (very) old ad gimmick for Borden Milk products. According to Wikipedia, "Elsie the Cow is a cartoon cow developed as a mascot for the Borden Dairy Company in 1936 to symbolize the perfect dairy product...the character has continued to be used in the same capacity for the company's partial successors, Eagle Family Foods (owned by J.M. Smucker) and Borden Dairy.

I cleaned her up before pulling out my acrylic paints. After several coats of different colors, I decided to make her a purple cow. Have you ever heard of the Purple Cow? It's a short little poem written in 1895 by  Gelett Burgess

"I never saw a Purple Cow,
I never hope to see one;
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.["
( "The Purple Cow". Poetry Archive. Retrieved 26 March 2013.)

I added patches of different colors and gave each patch "stitches" to give her a country vibe. I covered her with gloss varnish so her new paint job won't get scuffed. Her back end comes off so you can stash cookies inside. I hope you enjoyed the history and poetry lesson for today. LOL

Challenges I am Entering:
Dream Valley - Four-legged friends
Crafty Animals - AG w/an animal
Critter Crazy - AG w/a featured animal
Path of Positivity - AG or twist: Inspired by literature (purple cow poem)




2 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I enjoyed every minute of your wonderful stories and your purple cow, I LOVE her.
Faith x

creationsnz said...

Great find and great makeover too; a bonus to have the poem ... it really made me laugh. It reminded me of a story my mother told of her childhood when they sneaked out one night and painted purple spots on a local farmers cow (and never got caught).
So glad you shared your special cow with us at Critter Crazy, CarolG