PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

I Love the Smell of Leather


 When I was a kid, my family lived on a city block where all my neighbors had sons. I grew up as a tomboy with one desire - to own my own baseball mitt. I never got a new mitt, but I did get a "throw-away" one from my uncle. No matter, I could catch with it just as easily as a new one. 

I think that's where my liking the smell of leather kicked in. Awesome memories playing ball with him and his friends (uncle was only 4 years older than I) and forever throwing the ball against the front steps. You had to throw the ball just at the edge of a step for it to "throw back" at you. 

My make today uses a leather kit (and that's where the story came to mind). I  had to piece together and sew the leather to create an art journal cover. I traded the twine for my own silver twine and used a blanket stitch on the covers instead of the recommended simple stitch. The stitches are a little messy, but it did its job. 

After admiring my sloppy work, I pulled out my Posca paint markers and got to do what I do best - doodle!! If you are wondering whether to put out the money for a set of Poscas, they are truly worth the cost over other paint markers. The effect is more opaque than all the rest. I outlined everything first, then went back in with some colored paint markers. I love the end result. Using another piece of colored twine, I rummaged through my jewelry supplies, finding a few beads and charms to complete my journal. Now I just have to put paper in it and we're ready!

When I think of the isolation of COVID, I think of all the new techniques and supplies I tried. Some attempts were laughable while others stirred a desire to continue learning. Now I'm not only a card maker, I am JOAT (that's Jack Of All Trades, thanks to Anne McCaffrey's science fiction/fantasy Ship book series. I also stretched my taste in books and music.  

Challenges I am Entering:
Daisy Chain Challenges - No Design Paper
More than Words - Art Supplies (art journal)

1 comment:

Becca Sadler said...

Pat: It's great that your artisan skills have increased and you still enjoy doing new things! Especially mixing/meshing like paint markers on leather! Thanks for sharing this project with Ally's Angels! --Becca/DT