PagesPat's Ponderings

Monday, December 7, 2020

Day 7 DIY Christmas Crafting And Decor - Revamping Old Decorations

 

I bought a long tall snowman over ten years ago and when I pulled him out of storage I noticed he was looking a little worn out. He needed some "work" done to bring him back to his youthful self. I looked for a photo of him in his original form but couldn't find one. Let's just say he wore an evergreen wreath on his head, and held his hat in his hands. In his hat was a small snowchild amongst a pile of snowballs. 

The first thing I did was pull off his wreath. Sadly, it was not salvageable. There were a few tiny tears on his bald little head as well, but his new Santa hat hides them perfectly!

I peeled off his hat from his hands and put it aside for a different project and replaced it with this Dollar store wood sign, attaching it with a glue gun. Then I used a sticky roller to clean his body, sprayed it with adhesive and scattered fine glitter (which unfortunately you can't really see in the photo) over him (kind of like lightly salting a roast).

I can tell by his smile that he enjoys his new look. Of course, straightening his bent carrot nose helped immensely...(okay, the smile was there from before--poetic license).

As for that hat I put aside...
Honestly, I just added some greenery between the snowballs ,added the red bow in front and adhered a thin gold glitter garland to the brim of the hat. And now it's a separate decoration (I even put it in a separate room. I wonder if anyone will notice?)
No challenges entered today, since all I did was improve upon what I already had. I did recycle/upcycle, though...hmmm. I am so happy to find the recycling blog Use Your Stuff still around. I am always using my stuff, as I am a craftaholic and my store of supplies is overflowing. I try to only purchase adhesives when needed, although I have been seen in or near clearance items, thrift stores and dumpster diving (at least items left for trash collection) So I am entering Challenge #411 at Use Your Stuff Challenge Blog, which is a Mood Board challenge:

There were several decor items on the mood board, so I took inspiration from the type of items offered.
That's it for today, crafters. Merry everything and Happy always!!

 

No comments: