PagesPat's Ponderings

Thursday, December 3, 2020

Day 3 Christmas Decor - Outdoor Christmas Stars

I recently gave my front porch a much needed update. It literally had no design  features whatsoever. We've lived at the same address for over 25 years and the porch light was original (and rusting)! I started with my mailbox, painting it with shades of my favorite colors, teal and aqua. That led to painting the address plaque, which led  to renewing my welcome mat to painting the gas lamppost,,, Well, you get the idea.

So now that it's time for holiday decorating, I wanted to see what I could create using the same palette in my designs. The first pieces were large metal stars that I retrieved from my neighbors' offerings to the trash collection. Nothing wrong with them; they were just tired of them!

The star above incorporates my teal along with white and red. It looked rather plain, so I painted some doodles on a few of the sides and then attached a nice holiday cluster. I had planned the star below to be all teal and white, but it didn't look Christmas-y enough. So one panel was painted white, and since this star was embossed, I hand painted the swirls on all the panels that weren't white. Another holiday cluster went in the center and this one hangs on my railing facing the street. The other is on my outer wall to the left of my door. 

I used acrylic paints, not spray paint, for this project. The clusters were from Dollar Store. Can I just say that if you don't get to the Dollar Store before Thanksgiving, it's mighty slim pickings for DIY holiday projects. With so many YouTube videos, Pinterest boards and crafty creative people out there with extra time on their hands because of COVID, I believe the only store that are doing a booming business are craft stores and take-out restaurants!!

And on that merry note, happy crafting and stay healthy!

  



No comments: