PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

The Art of Recovery - for The Path of Positivity Family Challenge

 

I was asked by 901 Studio, in partnership  with Hines VA Hospital Veterans' Creative Art Therapy Department, to create a canvas about Recovery. I was inspired at first to create a mixed media canvas about my ongoing recovery as a caregiver and surviving spouse of a 100% disabled veteran who passed away from ALS, but before I started on the project, my mother passed away suddenly from a heart attack.

Reeling from this unexpected, piercing grief, as well as the arduous path of recovery from the loss of my husband, I came up with this canvas.  I painted the background of my canvas with acrylic paints before adhering my Copic-colored image. I used an image from Ike's Art called Never. 

My idea was to liken grief and recovery to letting your hair grow out. You have to really zoom in to read the words on her hair. Starting from the bottom, the darkest hair, are what I felt when grief set in. Over time, or as the hair grows out, the color is lighter and there is a feeling of hope allow with the pain. The newest hair growing in describes my ongoing recovery, with a more positive description of feelings.

The text I added described the inspiration behind my canvas. All I did to finish the canvas was add a small symbol of hope, life, new beginnings - a butterfly.

I've entered my canvas as a DT project in the Path of Positivity Challenge Blog. It is a celebration of family members who have recently went ahead of me. Be sure to check out the Challenge Blog and enter your art!! Scribbles Designs will provide a random prize.

No comments: