PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

For the Mom to Be

Today I wanted to show you my very first project as a DT member for Ike's World Challenges. It is a gift box that I re-purposed and recycled from a cream cheese container! Here's where I started:

I generously covered my container with homemade ModPodge and some thickly textured paper, both inside and out. I had to be careful to ensure that my lid would still open and close when dried. Trying to wait until each coat was completely dry before applying another, it took almost a week before it was ready to embellish!

First, I had to find its feet. I used water bottle caps, painting them white and adding gold glitter to each (more time spent drying). I added them and made sure the box stood stable before decorating.

Then the fun began!
I decided to use New Baby from Ike's Art. We have planned a baby shower for my daughter-in-law, scheduled for the end of June. Although their family includes five children, this one will be their first together. I wanted to make something special for the soon-to-be new mama, and my box fits the bill perfectly.
I placed my Copic-colored image onto the top of my box, framing it with a gold-rubbed paper doily. Since the challenge theme is to be inspired by song lyrics, I thought the song All I Have to Do Is Dream by the Everly Brothers.
Once the top was completed, I cut up old lace pieces I had snagged at rummage sales, strings of pearls, and creamy white roses to make the front of my box pleasing to the eye. The sides were the last to be finished.
I do so like to fling those feathers onto my projects!  Now I have just one thing more to make my beautiful box ready for the baby shower---
What am I going to put into it?!
Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone?
LOL While you're thinking about it, you can surf Ike's Store for inspiration and eye candy!! And don't forget to join in the challenge at Ike's World Challenge blog.
Other Challenges I am Entering:
Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent - Anything Goes/must recycle: from cream cheese container to gorgeous gift box
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Anything Goes/mixed media only
Stampin Royalty challenges - Anything But a Card

"All I Have To Do Is Dream"
Dream, dream, dream, dream
Dream, dream, dream, dream

When I want you in my arms
When I want you and all your charms
Whenever I want you
All I have to do is dream
Dream, dream, dream

When I feel blue in the night
And I need you to hold me tight
Whenever I want you
All I have to do is dream

I can make you mine 
Taste your lips of wine
Anytime night or day
Only trouble is 
Gee whiz
I'm dreamin' my life away

I need you so, that I could die
I love you so and that is why
Whenever I want you
All I have to do is dream
Dream, dream, dream, dream

I can make you mine
Taste your lips of wine
Anytime night or day
Only trouble is
Gee whiz
I'm dreamin' my life away

I need you so, that I could die
I love you so and that is why
Whenever I want you 
All I have to do is dream

Dream, dream, dream
Dream, dream, dream, dream
Dream, dream, dream, dream
Dream.
(lyrics courtesy of AtoZLyrics.com)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so so so PRECIOUS Pat. You did a WONDERFUL creation with your little Philly box. The colors are soooo sweet. Love the feathers too!!! Thanks bunches for joining the June Challenge at Rhedd's Creative Spirit. j

Sandra Wright. said...

I totally agree with Joi,this is just so precious...
Beautifully decorated and I'm sure mum to be will just adore it.
Thank you for joining in with our challenge over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit..x

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

There is no need for anything to go inside - it can be the box that holds the first curl, the first tooth etc - there you go make smaller boxes for inside. Tis beautiful hun she will love it I am sure. Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spriit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

Handcrafted by Ellapu
Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit
DT The Mirror Crack'd
DT Anything but a Card

Rupa Swaminathan said...

This is such a beautiful Trash to treasure project! I love the embellishments on your box.Thanks for sharing this with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month. Good Luck, Rupa (DT).

Carrie Rhoades said...

What a cool project! I should really start saving my cream cheese boxes! Congrats on being one of our top picks at Stampin' Royalty with this amazing creation!

Chris Stern / CS Designs said...

OMG Pat what a wonderful transformation. I love recycled handmade boxes and have quite a stash saved (mostly Dove Soap Boxes)ready for altering but never though of using a cream cheese container. I love what the flap adds to your creation and all the gorgeous details you have added. Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece on Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent. I really enjoyed seeing it and hope you will continue to come and share with lovely work with us.
:) Chris / CS Designs

Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent Monthly Challenge
Doodle Pieces Original Art by Chris Stern
CS Designs - Original Digital Stamps