PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Ocean Calls Me

Internet was down earlier today, so I managed to get some time in with my water colors. I picked up a couple seashells a long time ago while I was vacationing in the Florida Keys. For inspiration, I placed one of my shells on the table and, well, I hope it looks like a shell to you!! LOL
I am still learning what I can do with water colors, and today I learned to put a very small amount of paint into the water when I wet my paper. Not only does it show me where the paper is wet and the paint will spread, but it also gives me a shaded background so that when I finish my focal point, it's not sitting in the middle of a white background. I've found it very difficult to add a background after I paint something.
I also learned that I can turn my paper to pull color in the direction I want it to go. I was having trouble with giving dimension between the front and back of the shell (still am). I had better luck when I rotated my paper 180 degrees.
Again, what I created can pass for a shell, but is in no way perfect or even great. But my art is an educational journey, one I want to share with my fellow artists. I am determined to keep stretching my creativity, opening myself up to more inspiration and more creative outlets. When I first started playing with water colors, I could only paint backgrounds (and some of them had to be "edited"). But as I kept at it, I experimented, I took out library books, I bought better paper, better paints, watched YouTube videos.
I was determined to figure out why paint moves the way it does with water, how I could get more dimension in my work. I thought about taking a class or two.
Now I'm thinking of just continuing on my own. All because I was determined to make water colors one of my "techniques" in my little corner of creativity. And I am happy I kept on.
What are you determined to learn, to discover, to conquer?

4 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Well Pat this is an awesome creation with water colours. Its got wonderful depth and dimension and it definitely is a gorgeous shell.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Pat! Your shell goes way beyond "passable". It is glorious! I love it and would be proud to frame it. The colors are amazing, your technique is wonderful, and the shell itself is calling me to your fantasy beach where all things are possible! hugs, de

Unknown said...

Looks like a shell to me.

Keep up the good work!

nwilliams6 said...

You did a wonderful job with this Pat! Looks exactly like a shell and a very pretty one at that! Loving the direction you are going in with your creativity! Hugz!