PagesPat's Ponderings

Saturday, November 24, 2012

The History of Bullying Goes Way Back


Let me give you a little Christmas history lesson.  It involves some very mean reindeer and one bullied reindeer--don't worry, it has a happy ending!
My card showcases Coriander Shea's lovely new stamped image Reindeer Decor, offered by Queen Kay Designs.  By taking a line from the song Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the football frenzy of the last week, I ended up with a couple of rough looking reindeer.  They are the ones who called Rudolph names and wouldn't let him play games with them (especially Antler Tackle).
I stamped, colored and fussy-cut three images and adhered them onto an embossed card front.  The sentiment is a line from the Christmas song, and I embellished with red glittery border from K & Co., as well as a leftover Christmas brad I found at the bottom of my Christmas craft box.
Don't these reindeer look like they're ready to tackle you?!  I even gave each the football smudges under their eyes so the sun wouldn't distract their targeting ability.  I am definitely giving this card to one of my guy friends who appreciates a little football humor.
You can check out all the new Christmas rubber at the QKD SHOPPE today!!!

A note of seriousness here: even though bullying is a priority in schools nowadays, you can't help someone who won't tell people they are victims of bullying.  Watch for signs from your kids, your students, your family. Keep the lines of communication open.  Google sites that give you the symptoms, warning signs and advice on how to handle someone who is being bullied.
Our area has been hit with quite a few suicides in the last year, despite the "high awareness" that schools are on.  I was lucky enough to discover that my daughter was being bullied when she was very young, and got some really good advice on how to handle her and the main bully and her mom.  My daughter came out of the experience stronger and with a new best friend.  She is now a senior in high school and very empathetic to others who are being bullied.  And she is alive, which is more than I can say of other worried parents.
Keep your ears and hearts open to young victims.  You could save a life!

No comments: