PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Oh, There They Are!?!

Have you ever started a project with a specific embellishment in mind, and spent precious time searching for that elusive embellishment? Time that could have been spent creating your card, or layout, or altered art. Time spent longer on looking for that embellishment than it took to create your art!
After "losing" supplies and frantically wasting time looking for them, I finally made up my mind to Organize (with a capital O) my embellishments. The difficulty was in choosing the type of organization that would work for me. I finally came up with nice, inexpensive clear plastic boxes from JoAnn's.

Each lidded box comes with five smaller boxes. I keep my small embellishments in these boxes, sorting and storing by color, so that if I need a brad, eyelet, jewel, pearl, clip, button, staple or such in, let's say, the color family of BLUE, I know exactly where to find it all. In fact, I had so much success with saving time finding them, that I used the same method of storage for my smaller flowers!
In sorting through these containers, putting away some new bling, I came across the dreaded sequins. Now, sequins on a whole are pretty harmless, but in crafts, I need two brains to come up with needs for them, yet I can't seem to part with them! The challenge over at Your Scrapbook Place is to find those neglected embellishments that never seem to see the light of day and DO something with them, whether it be a project, or a gift to someone in need of sparklies. I found a simple cardboard frame with adhesive already on one side, and I crammed onto it as many sequins as fit. To fill the gaps, I added some Flower Soft in Kelly Green.

Having a frame with nothing to go into it is pretty pointless, if you ask me, so I colored up a Magnolia Tilda with my trusty Copics, cut her out and dimensionally adhered her to a piece of patterned vellum, whose violet flowers complement the frame. I used CTMH Liquid Glass to give her shoes and cheeks some shine.
And now that I proudly used up some of my many sequestered sequins, I'm giving the rest away to the first person who comments on this posts that she would like them! I am being totally ruthless in my simplification and organizational goals of 2011. Halleluiah, and the purge will set me free!!

5 comments:

Pat said...

Of course, this post won't count, but I forgot to mention the winner of my blog candy for the SBP Blog Hop--it's Lindsy!!
Congrats, Lindsy, thanks for the comment on my featured project, and expect a little something in the mail from me!

Allie Gower said...

Thanks for the great tips, and for sharing your project.

Allie Gower
http://yourscrapbookplace.blogspot.com - home of the Scrapbook Place Challenges

Linda W. said...

Ahhhhhh that is absolutely beautiful. Who would've thunk?! If no one wants those embellies, Pat, how about donating to the Funshine Committee to add some sunshine to cares. You are so creative tho! I luv it!

Allie Gower said...

I forgot to mention how beautiful your project was.

Cindy H. said...

How cute is that picture frame :o) I just adore what you came up with and the picture is just as sweet! Looks like you had a great time doing it too. Thanks for sharing.