PagesPat's Ponderings

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Pop the Cork

 Sometimes you have to look for inspiration, and sometimes, it stares you right in the face. One evening I was early, picking up a to-go order at the local Olive Garden restaurant. While waiting in the bar area where my meal would come out and I would pay for it, I struck up a conversation with the bartender, a very nice man named Sergio. We talked about our dogs (mine was in the car with my daughter. While talking, I happened to see this large glass column of corks from all the wine served throughout however many months it took (it was a mammoth column).
Just before my food came out, I asked Sergio what happens  to all the corks collected in the column.When he told me they threw them out, my Muse went into hyper-drive. I explained I was a crafter and would love to take some of the corks and create some art with them. While I paid for my order, he took the column of corks and emptied most of them into a paper shopping bag (their to-go bags are not small!).
As I thanked him, he asked me what I was going to make. At the time, I had no idea, and that's what I told him. We laughed and I promised to show him something that I created. My first attempt (above) at working with cork resulted in a nice trivet, which I often use at dinner time. Although there were plastic corks mixed in with the "real" corks, I didn't think they would take the heat from any hot pans  or dishes. I used some Stickles on the edges just for a little shine.

My second cork project is the one I gave to Sergio. I found a pattern for creating a bunch of grapes and made two, one bunch of green grapes and one of purple. I added greenery and twine with which to hang the grapes. I think they look sharp, and Sergio certainly seemed impressed with them.
I still have a ton of corks, but will probably visit Sergio soon for another bag so I can build up a good-sized inventory in case I choose to take part in a craft fair this year.

1 comment:

ike said...

Oh WoW ! Super cool ideas. I LUV that trivet :-)