PagesPat's Ponderings

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Where Did Christmas in July Come From?

According to Wikipedia, "In the southern hemisphere, winter falls in July. Therefore in countries such as Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in order to have Christmas with a winter feel Christmas in July events are undertaken.  The earliest known occasion to make the phrase Christmas in July literal was in July 1933 at a girl's summer camp in North Carolina.  The term was given national attention with the release of the Hollywood movie comedy Christmas in July in 1940.  American advertisers began using Christmas in July themes in print for summertime sales as early as 1950."

In the crafting world, it's as good an excuse as any to start my stash of Christmas cards for the holiday.  And evidently QKD is in sync with my plans, releasing new Christmas images this month as well.
Check out my card today using the QKD July release, "Swirl Deer."

I decided to try a gate-fold card--amazing that I'd never made one before, but true!!  Once I picked out the patterned papers from my Christmas stash, I printed my image on white cardstock and inked the background with Tim Holtz Distress Inks (Worn Lipstick, Bundled Sage and Gathered Twigs).

I found the sentiment in my Christmas box and inked it to coordinate with my image, then attached them to opposing sides of my card.  The star is from my button collection.

I put a little shimmer on my deer's antlers with black Stickles, but otherwise left my card Clean And Simple.

Ready to tackle Christmas cards yet?  The QKD Shop is your go-to place!!  Not ready yet?  There are plenty of stamps and digi images just released--go check them out!!

No comments: