PagesPat's Ponderings

Friday, July 19, 2024

New-to-Me Technique - Hammering Flowers

  
Today I wandered around the neighborhood, looking for inspiration. I can always find it in nature, sure enough I was admiring all the bright colors blooming in neighbors' yards. Asking for permission first, I gathered up a few glowers and/or petals and brought them home to try something new (to me) - hammered flowers.
I decided to use a T-shirt, and prepared it by soaking it in a mixture of milk and Epsom salts. I used a hybrid version of a binder for improving the colors and staying powers of the flowers' imprint. Most Pinterest posts said using soy milk or ash for tie-dyeing but I had none.  
I placed my shirt on a king-sized cutting board I inherited from my mom, then covered my soon-to-be canvas with parchment paper since I had no wax paper. Next came the hammer, and I had a good, intense workout pounding the flowers into my shirt. 
After allowing the flowers to dry a bit, I removed them to admire my new artwork. Hmmm! Maybe haphazard was the wrong way to place the blooms. And the red left a brownish dye color. And the leaves didn't leave their mark much. And some of the prints were unrecognizable. And maybe I should have practiced on watercolor paper first...
Anyway, I learned a new technique and am going to practice what I preach and try this technique on watercolor paper (arranging the blooms artfully). A little progress every day adds up...
Challenges I am Entering:
  Creative Fingers - Anything Goes
  Creative Inspiration - ANything Goes

No comments: