PagesPat's Ponderings

Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Squigglefly Christmas Showcase

Last summer I paid three dollars for this 18x18 inch piece of wall art.  It originally had eight 3x3 colorful panels (one of them was missing).  I've kept it in the dark recesses of my craft closet, knowing I wanted to do a montage of images for a special occasion.

Inspiration finally struck today and I printed out several Squigglefly digital images in a Christmas theme.  I love the diversity of the many artists who design for Squigglefly.  While I have my favorites, I can't name one whose images I don't like to play with.

I played with thoughts of painting the base of my wall art, but my daughter (an artist in her own right) told me she liked the dark brown background, so I chose a color palette with blues and yellows and greens, and let my Copics provide the tone.  I used blue cardstock to frame each image.

Let me introduce you to the many "faces" of Christmas that Squigglefly offers.  The first two are colored images by artist Inger Harding.  They are part of a "Print, Cut & Paste" collection called Winter Wonderland Papers.




Next up meet artist Lynne Stansbery through her awesome sketches-turned-digi images.  The one below is called "Three Stockings Waiting."
On to a couple of images by Marla Shega.
Both Marla and Lynne make coloring their images easy with the way they sketch in shading, making them more realistic.

This first is called Kris Kringle.  He's one of my favorites when making Christmas cards.  I changed him out by coloring his hat blue!  I know, Santa is probably putting me on his naughty list as I write. But he looks good in Blue, don't you think?

The second image is called Holiday Bells.  They are so pretty!  I placed a jewel where the bell's clapper hangs for some extra sparkle.  By the way, I used Distress inks around the edges of all my images.

Another favorite artist in the Squigglefly family is Cheryl Grant Alger. She has so many cute and awesome images, and I especially like her line of Snowman images.  The one below is called "Family Snow Day." There are quite a few snowman images she offers through Squigglefly, and each one of them is on my Christmas Wish List (are you listening, Santa?).
Pamela Lehto is a crafting friend of mine, and I am thrilled she has joined the Squigglefly team as an artist.  I love the images she has drawn, including this one.  It's called "Christmas Tree with Candles and Holly."  I chose to top her tree with a snowflake.

To finish off my rundown of images I used on my project, I colored a fantasy-themed one by Rachel Goble.  He's called "Christmas Dragon" and he certainly looks happy knowing Santa remembered him this year!
I hope you like my wall art.  I am happy with how it turned out, and since I am my own worst critic, that is saying a lot.  I hope you have time to craft before Christmas, and I hope you enjoy what you do!

2 comments:

Holly Young said...

wow Pat, this is awesome! I love the variety of images and the whole Christmas theme! Beautifully done!

D said...

What a stunning work of art, Pat!!!!! Both the images and your coloring are so incredibly beautiful. Love all this gorgeous inspiration. Makes me want to go check out Squigglefly's digis :)