PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness

Or, as they're known by many, RAKs.  A smile here, an opened door there.  Paying for the guy's coffee in the car behind you in drive-through, leaving a handmade card for someone going through a rough time.  All are random, all are appreciated more than anyone will ever know.

I have been peppering a few teachers and staff with RAKs this year.  A few are going through rough times, so I wanted to let them know they aren't alone in their prayers by saying it in cards.  A couple had babies, and I wanted to brighten their day with a handmade gift to cheer their sleep-deprived weeks.  Here is a gift I made for one of the new mommies.

While rummaging for deals at a rummage sale, I found a shadow box with a weird focus, but the frame was sturdy, so I cracked it open and threw the weirdness away.

I covered the back with patterned paper, adding a photo mat.  Then I had fun with a paper piecing, handmade flowers and some baby embellishments.

When I gave it to my teaching friend, she loved it, and immediately thought it would be the perfect place to keepsake her new daughter's hospital wristband.  I put a smile on her face, and on a Monday morning, in her class room!

Now it's your turn.  Do something nice, randomly.  And keep crafting!!


3 comments:

Melissa said...

What a thoughtful gift! Very nice

Sherry Hickey said...

What a great idea and delightful baby gift, Pat!

Holly Young said...

how precious! I really love that you could see past the weirdness and make it into something wonderful. I love doing RAKS too, and it's so wonderful to see the joy it brings to people.