PagesPat's Ponderings

Monday, October 9, 2023

31 Days of All Hallows Eve - Day 9 Spooky Spiders

 

I altered another book box today. This one is all about the spiders. Before covering my box with tissue paper and homemade mod podge, I drew a large spider web with hot glue. Once the paper was dry, I painted the cover black, then highlighted the web with gold paint using a tiny paint brush. This book took me hours of detailed brush work, getting the web strands thin enough to look realistic. I pulled the spiders from my Halloween craft stash, as well as the thin webbing you can get at the Dollar Store.

Besides lining the box with designer paper. I like to give the sides of the box some gold paint to resemble gilt-edged pages. I have a few more boxes to alter. Do you have any ideas for their theme? I was thinking maybe a witch's cookbook, and possibly a monster book with fangs.

Speaking of cookbooks, I tried to make devilled eggs but with avocado mixed in to make the filling spooky. I also like to make lots of tiny cracks in my egg shells after boiling. Then I put them in cups colored with Kool Ade. They come out almost like dinosaur eggs, with lines all over the whites. Pretty gruesome. They looked great but I'm not especially fond of avocado. It was a hit, though, and I took home my empty container. Here's the recipe:

Halloween Dragon Eggs

Hard boil eggs. I boil them for 7 minutes, take the off the burner, cover them and let them cool off for another 7 minutes.
Crack each egg lightly so that the egg has many cracks but won't fall apart. 
Fill a pot with some water and all the contents of a Kool Ade packet (no sugar added) of any color you prefer (I used grape for purple) Use enough water to cover the eggs completely.
Place eggs in this pot for about 15 minutes.
Dry with paper towel and crack open the eggs. You should have a cool design on the hard egg whites. 
Cut them in half, placing egg yolk in small bowl and egg whites on a platter.
Chop up the egg yolks and add some Miracle Whip and mustard (if you want them to turn green, add half a very ripe avocado. Stir until creamy. Fill egg whites and refrigerate. 
I like to sprinkle on some paprika just for looks. Garnish as you like...

If you try these, let me know how they turned out! 

1 comment:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

You have been so busy while I was awol. I'm sorry I'm short of time so can't comment on all, however, they are scary and wonderful too, as for your recipe, I wish I had kids around to try it. All fabulous, inspirational and incredible.
Faith x