PagesPat's Ponderings

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

She Found Her Wings

My daughter is three classes away from her college degree. When I left home, it wasn't for college, but for another "community" of peers--Boot Camp. We lived in barracks (dorms), ate at the Mess Hall, (cafeteria) learned the history and traditions of military service (classes) and formed lasting relationships (sororities).
But unlike nowadays, unemployment wasn't rampant, rent was cheap, and when my hitch was over (graduation), I never returned home. By the time I was 20, I was married, had a job, and wanting to start a family. When we bought our first house two years after we were married, hubby was making $15,000 a year.
Nowadays, the chances of college grads getting a job right out of school is less than perfect. I know (very) young teachers who are working in offices and bakeries. It's a killer world out there, and even when you believe you were born to do exactly what you prepared yourself for, life, the economy and competition cause many to stumble.
But I know my daughter won't stumble, because she has found her wings, and on the wind of her imagination, creativity and talent with the written word, she will fly high into her own unique future.

3 comments:

Granmargaret said...

Lovely layout. Best wishes to your daughter.

ike said...

Gosh, yes.... I know what you mean there. It's so hard for our joungsters these days :-( I wish her all the best as she comes to the end of her classes and wish her a fabulous future :-D

Hugz
IKE xxxxxxx

Desire Fourie said...

Beautiful Pat and what a true word spoken. Here's to your daughter's awesome future.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}