PagesPat's Ponderings

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Beach-Inspired Sunday Project


Happy Sunday, crafters! Today I was cleaning and organizing my craft room and happened upon some pictures I had taken at the beach in Wisconsin (the beach being Lake Michigan). I remembered the trip with my mom and sisters, and how utterly relaxing our "girls' day(s) out" had been. We had connecting rooms with full views of the lake, and often we would catch each other just sitting there, staring out of the window and being hypnotized by the dance of the clouds in the sky and the waves in the water.
So, I just had to look at what I had at hand, as I promised myself I would use up my stash before all else. I limited my project to what was still on my desk (which isn't much of a limit-I hadn't cleaned it off in a while).
I found this simple yet elegant digital image from Sami Stamps to color up. I had just returned all my Copics back to their corrals, and they were organized so the coloring went quickly. Then I fussy cut her out along with her steaming mug.
Since my head was wrapped up in the relaxation of the trip, and what better way than to relax with a book, I made a bookmark. Yes, for a real, paper book (after all, how can you make a bookmark for your Kindle?) Some leftover trim and a button and my bookmark was almost complete.
I love to play in Photoshop, and am fairly new to digital crafting, so I opened my bookmark base there and placed it on some beautiful textured paper from the Christmas Grunge collection by Decosse's Dynamite Doodles. All I had left to do was choose the right sentiment, and I think that's exactly what I did. Now my bookmark is ready to print, and I think I'll make a few of them so that, while marking their pages in their books, each of my sisters and my mom will remember our weekend awa, and the peaceful time we had together.
Image:  Comfy Cocoa from Sami Stamps
Papers: Christmas Grunge from Decosse's Dynamite Doodles, and a page from DCWV A Colorful Life paper pad
Embellishments: stray green button (actually I found it under my craft desk); purple adhesive-backed trim from Recollections, Inc
Ink: Copics Y38,17,11; E00; V04,12; and G21,94
Challenges I am Entering:
Sami Stamps challenge blog - Add 2 Different patterned papers (although you can't see much of the grunge paper, it makes a thin border around my bookmark)
Corrosive Challenges - Utterly Feminine
Sketchy Colors challenges - Lilac, grey & blue (see below)

A Gem of a Challenge - One for the Girls 
Jo's Scrap Shack - Lazy Days of Summer
Simply Papercraft challenges - Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes w/optional twist-Girls' Night Out (I was inspired to create from a Girls' Weekend Out recently-it was very chill)

6 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

beautiful card and love the sentiment and your memories behind the card making--Thank you for joining us at Simply Papercrafts
Carol DT x

Em Louise Fairley said...

Beautiful. Love the colors you've used. Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create and I hope you'll join us again soon.

Hugs,
Em AKA Creative Em
613 Avenue Create DT

Helen said...

Great card - love the scene you've created.

Thanks for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge

Helen x

Synnøve said...


Sweet card and a nice story! Love it! Thank you for joining our challenge at Sketchy Colors!

Joyce Tompkins said...

Sounds like it was a fabulous trip! and that your craft room looks like mine...lol! Such a fabulous card, very beautiful. Thanks for joining Jo's Scrapshack and Fun~day Friday.

Ericraft said...

you have created a lovely book mark here. such a relaxing looking one too :)
Thanks for joining us over at lil patch of crafty friends. Good luck
Erica DT