PagesPat's Ponderings

Friday, June 16, 2023

Upcycling a Thrift Store Find - Garden Decor

 

I started watching a series on Netflix that shows how a person can decorate/furnish their home for practically pennies. This inspired me to go out to my garage and find something to upcycle for my home. I discovered a rusted metal watering can that I had purchased at Savers for $2 last year.

After washing and sanding (and sanding and sanding), I had a canvas for my paints. I first sprayed the whole can with orange spray paint. Then I added dark Turquoise chalk paint on top of that. Then I took another square of sandpaper and roughed up the edges, letting the orange color come though. It looked like...hmm, a rusted old watering can?! Well, let's just say my can was "artfully antiqued".

I used a stencil and some copper paint, along with a botanical border, to give it some style. I tried to re-bend the handle but it was stronger than I am! When the can was dry, I used gloss varnish, thereby cancelling the "artistically-antiqued" look. But I wanted the look to last throughout the Chicago weather, so it's okay. Breathe...

Once dry (again), I pulled out a few strings of tiny twinkle lights and threaded them through the can's spout. I hung the can over my tiny garden in front of my  house. I left the lights on, and I can't wait to see it lit up!! Updated photo below:

Challenges I am Entering:

1 comment:

Gail Hutchinson said...

Great garden upcycle. Thank you for sharing with us over at Morgan's ArtWorld. Love to see you join in each month.
~ Gail CT