PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

It Didn't Move So I Painted It

 

The title of my post is my mantra, "if it doesn't move, I can paint it" That's why my switch plates and outlet covers are all painted, but my dog is still a creamy white (she moves). Since Covid, I've also painted my back door, my deck, coasters, flower pots, and a kajillion other inanimate objects in my house and from my garage.

Today's project features a raw wood-carved animal that I spied on the bottom shelf of a thrift store. Lord knows why I bought it. I have so many items to use, and projects are always stirring around in my head. But I think she winked at me while I stooped down to pick her up. She was half-price, which is always a bonus for me and my wallet.

After adding Gesso and giving her a gleaming white base, I decided to go whimsical with her. I've had a lot of success selling animal figures that I "renew" with paints and my imagination. I gave her (by the way, after much thought I decided she was a llama) a pastel purple base. From there I used a stencil and gave her designs on the front of her neck. 

She's wearing a rug of multi-colors, painted with acrylics and my Posca paint markers. There are   patches to give the illusion of a stuffed animal. The rest of her neck displays a colorful rainbow. Her head is raised high, but she is not snooty. She stands tall as a proud woman female animal. 

She's not heavy enough to be a doorstop, which is what my other painted animal figures became, but she makes an interesting silhouette in my front windows. I like it, so I'll continue to be on the prowl for other large animals to paint.

I'm in the mood to paint so that's it for today. Happy crafting!

1 comment:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! My goodness this is fabulous, what a wonderful painting and creative animal you have made, Love her. YOu really are so creative.
Faith x