PagesPat's Ponderings

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Masking Technique

Today I can cross off another technique that I have never tried before: Masking!
I know, I know, you ask why I haven't done it before, because it is simple enough.  But I had no design in mind that would utilize the technique.
Then my son received a card in the mail from a crafting friend.  She had used this technique and her card was simple and beautiful.  By the way, Melissa, my son thanks you for thinking of him during his recuperation.  He is doing very well!
Anyway, I scraplifted her "sketch" and using the same technique, came up with a set of Thank You cards that my daughter had asked me to make so she could send to family after her birthday.  (I love the fact that I didn't have to nag her to send them)

Bella's Bedroom Wall
 I pulled a couple of cling buterflies off my craft room wall for a mask.  When my 4 yr old Bella stays the night, she gets to paste on a sheet of cling butterflies that I purchase from the local Dollar Store before going to bed.  (That's right, you made the correct connection.  I share my craft room with my granddaughter)
So, the card base is plain old white card stock, and the masked layer is various leftover pieces of cream-colored cardstock.  I applied the two smaller clings to the left side of my card and distressed that side with tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo.  After peeling off the clings, I stamped a tiny butterfly on SU Kaleidescope Ink pad in Wild Berry over the inked area.  The sentiment is from my very first set of SU stamps, bought before the "turn of the century". (wow, that sounds like I'm old...wait, I AM old!")  LOL
The inside is left blank for my daughter to write in her personal message to all who gave her gifts for her sweet 16th birthday.
So now you've seen the uncrafting part of my craft room and learned that I am behind the times when it comes to techniques.   No worries, I am quickly catching up.  There are so many blogs with inspiration projects, videos with tutorials, and new products coming out every day that I MUST keep changing and learning or else I may just get left behind, stuck in a tar pit like...well, I'm not THAT OLD!!!

No comments: