PagesPat's Ponderings

Saturday, October 20, 2012

ZigZag Fold Card with Queen Kat Designs


I have been playing with my new Melia Newman stamp called Ruby Slippers from Queen Kat Designs.  I decided that those slippers don't necessarily have to be ruby red, so I used my Copics and colored in Halloween colors.
I distressed the edges with Bundled Sage and Faded Jeans Distress Inks from Tim Holtz; Stickled the shoes and kitty wings for shine; and added black jewels for a small border.
Next, I had to decided what to do with it!!  Did you hop along with us during the QKD Thirteen Days of Halloween Blog Hop?  One of our designers showed us an unusually-folded card with what I can only describe as "zigzag" edging on the top.
I liked the design, and eyeballed it and made my own template out of a 8.5"x12" piece of cardstock.  I cut the paper on a diagonal at 3" on one end and 5" at the other. Then I scored each at 2" intervals and mountain/valley folded each piece, joining the two at the back for a 4" width and 5.5" height.

There were just too many panels to worry about, so I attached the back two and made it into a top-loading pocket, in which I slipped a tag with my card's sentiment.
I found this killer patterned paper in my stash file, with great shades of teal, orange, green and blue, all of gears and circles, very steam punk.  That set the color and the mood of my card.  I mixed this patterned paper with a coordinating lighter blue and used a couple more QKD stamps directly onto the panels.
I stamped my Batty Background in black on each of the two panels on the ends.  Then on one side I stamped Cranium Man on the next panel, adding a couple Skittles and some lace.
On the other side, I used two more QKD stamps, Street Lamp 2 and Briggitte.  Of course I couldn't let them stand alone, so I colored Briggitte with a little Copic and Stickled the lamp post.
 My card was almost finished, but when I closed it, it lacked a focal point on the front.  So I turned to a QKD stamp called Clockwork Butterfly.  I used coordinating colors of Copics, then popped on some tiny black brads for definition.  
Although it looks centered on the front, I only adhered it to the right side, which left me room to add one more embellishment on the left.  And then, finally, my card was complete.  And here is what it looks like folded (almost) closed.
And folded but kind of open!
I hope you like my newest card showcasing not only Melia's newly-released Ruby Slippers, but a handful of QKD stamps, all on one project!  And they're all available at the Shoppe!  
Happy crafting, and keep the Halloween spirit alive in your creativity!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Awesome card! Love the zig zag!

Unknown said...

woah! that's awesome!!