PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's All ABout the Birthday!

I bet you all know at least one person who has a birthday for each month on the calendar.  Well, I've named February as my personal Birthday card crafting month.  I'll be making a birthday card a day until the 29th, which is a special birthday as it only comes around once every four years!
So for my first birthday card, I used Squigglefly's digi image Bit of a Witch by Cheryl Alger.  I love so many of Cheryl's images, and you will probably see a lot of them here this month.  I also like to use images that may be more geared toward a different theme or holiday than the way I use them.  This witch would be perfectly content to enjoy a frightfully good halloween, but witches have birthdays too, you know.  So I colored my little witch in non-Halloween colors and am sending her off to one of my high school girlfriends, whose birthday is later this month.
I colored the patterned paper in the same blue as her dress and the stamped stars that surround her with one of my trusty Copic markers.  I handwrote the sentiment and framed it with a slide mount, stamping it too with stars.  A couple of swirly paper clips and a bit of fiber finish off my card (well, I  couldn't resist using some stickles for shimmer, but the camera didn't catch it very well).

Now, some of you know that my granddaughter visits almost every month, and she loves to craft with her grandma.  When she saw me coloring, she asked for an image and to "use grandma's special markers so it would look just like Grandma's card, pleeeease").  So here is her creation as well.   I made her the card base and gave her one of my paper clips. She colored the image herself (yes, I let her use my coveted Copics) and used one of my Fiskars scissors to cut out her image and put it all together.  Not bad for a 4 year old!

So go and create a birthday card for someone you know.  If my preschool-aged granddaughter can make one, so can you!!!   Happy Crafting!

4 comments:

Holly Young said...

Pat your card is really adorable! I love the whole layout and I can't help but laugh that the wording on your background paper has the word "poop" at the top! LOL! That's my sentiment exactly when I have another birthday.
your granddaughter's card is extremely good! She colors so well for her age! Tell her I said that she did a great job on it!

bumblebee creations said...

how awesome--love your grandaughters card--so cute! love your card as well, wonderful coloring!

Kathy Bradley said...

I'm with Holly, I had to laugh and the BG paper - and I totally agree! Awesome card! And, your granddaughter's sweet card is wonderful - let her know she is very talented!

Melissa said...

Love both cards! I can see where your granddaughter gets her talent from!